Thank you for all your help. We owe you a big big thank you for supporting Brownbook.net.
One of the pains of moving the whole of Brownbook to new systems last week was that we had some teething troubles… 40 million listings, millions of registered users…. We always new it was going to be challenging which is why we kept putting it off over the last few years. Its only when you consider the processing of hundreds of listings a second and do the maths you realise that its days of processing (even with the fastest of infrastructure and multi / hyperthreading…) to transfer Brownbook to a new modern infrastructure and code base.
So we fixed the password reset issues, the listing issues, the email confirmation issues and we are very nearly there. We have just a few small bugs to solve and the ‘search’ needs to finish indexing, then we can get on to the more exciting functions that you have been asking for.
We are in the process of making the new site live, please bear with us whilst all the functionality and indexes are transferred and created. It should only take a few hours, then we should be back to normal.
We started Brownbook.net in May 2008 and since then we have been working on the same PHP code, on a home-grown framework, using Sphinx search on AWS, with great success.
Now its time for a change… we are deep in to development of Brownbook version 2, which we are hoping to have live within the next 8 weeks. This will give us all an improved experience as it uses Laravel Vapor serverless deployment, React Material design and some of the new AWS services. The improvements we will see include:
- a maintainable code base so we can quickly release improvements
- much improved SEO
- faster more accurate searching
- faster more reliable api usage
- new interface that is quick and intuitive
For our API customers, we will be using the same api calls so there will be no need for you to make any changes.
For our users, we will use the same username and login service so you will not have to re-register.
We are looking forward to sharing more information very shortly.
It was about time… this week the team completed the facelift of Brownbook, the first in 8 years. Times have moved on and we have been desperate to do the work for a few years, but simply did not have the time.
We have also had the opportunity to correct broken links and really do a spring clean on the whole site. Great news.
If you are an agency, SEO specialist, or a local search listing optimizer, it can be laborious and costly to add listings manually to Brownbook. We have a Publisher API that can help you reduce the time, cost, error rate and administrative overhead of adding and maintaining thousands of listings on Brownbook.net – The Global Business Listing Database.
Using our Publisher API you can search, insert, edit, and delete listings in volume. There are 5 simple steps:
1. Review the API documentation here: https://docs.brownbook.net
2. Download and sign the API Agreement (agreeing to pay US $0.10 per listing per month) here: Brownbook data publication agreement 220416
3. Scan and email the signed API Agreement to: email@example.com for the attention of Marc or David
4. We will give you an Oauth key / token
5. You code to the live API
www.brownbook.net is now fully functioning on AWS, and as a result, its much faster. We are all amazed at just how much quicker it is. Even users of the api for submitting listings into Brownbook are reporting that all requests are returning in less than 500 milliseconds.
Update: We rehearsed the full migration this week, and hit a few minor issues, thankfully nothing scary, so work continues to get this fully done. Our plan now incorporates some staged migration of different elements of the system over the next week or so, and we’ll let you know here how it gets on. Thats all for now 🙂
Well, its been a long time, and welcome back! Please excuse the deafening silence for the last, oh, 5 years! Can it really be that long??
Well, the good news is that The Brownbook has been performing almost flawlessly for 5 years without much attention on our part. That’s down to the original fully-automated and self-service design that we created. Its like a factory with an automated production line, every now and again we drop in the ensure the lights are on and the machine has fuel, and actually thats all its needed to keep running.
But, its time for us to step back in and give it a little love.
2011… 2012 … 2013… 2014… 2015… 2016!
Free free global business directory that anyone can edit now lists 28 million businesses worldwide
United Kingdom: Brownbook.net, the free global business directory that anyone can edit, is celebrating its first year in business; a year of sustained growth. Today, the site continues to thrive, with thousands of businesses being added, worldwide, every week. The international distribution of listed businesses can be seen here: http://www.brownbook.net/countries.
- Miamism.com, USA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rFyBJT5CeM
- R A Hilton, Jeweller, USA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX0SAmObg-k
- Bush Marketing, Australia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBF9qDwHPRU
- Carpet Doctors, UK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx2__rhjsYI
- Sort Out My Visa, UK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQOARcUve0k
- OM2 Marketing, UK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_GcM_LqIug
- Elite Advertising Consultants, UK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jWHP6yb8qw
- Pople Web Design, UK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIAotTqPvkk
- French Tutoring, UK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpXlAk2W8Es
Brownbook also regularly enjoys positive reviews about the site; these left, for example, on Brownbook’s own listing page:
“Love it… Love it… Love it. This is SEO magic for the uninitiated. Simple, quick and powerful. Love it! Have recommended BrownBook to ALL my friends! Actor Expo Team, www.actorexpo.co.uk, May 25, 2009 17.23”
“I had a wonderful review of my business appear on my [Brownbook listing] a few days after signing up for your service. It was an unsolicited endorsement from a business associate. Right on! May 22, 2009 11.06”
Marc Lyne, co-founder: “We are currently listing 28 million businesses from all around the world. One of the reasons for Brownbook’s success, I would say, is that we never stop providing innovative new features to businesses, helping them to get found online. This keeps the site fresh and on its toes. Here are 2 of our latest enhancements, for example:
1. Stats counters and stat graph on every businesses page.
2. Bidget (Business Widget) for reviews. Now anyone can add their reviews that appear on Brownbook to any other website, blog or forum. See an example here: the Brownbook page for Onedrywash: http://www.brownbook.net/business/31008544/sjk-products-ltd, and their Brownbook reviews which they have placed on their own blog: http://onedrywash.blogspot.com