(… and I will credit you with a link back in the resultant blog post!) – see my contact details at the end of this post
An open invitation to webmasters and owners of the following types of websites:
- local/regional community website
- regional/local newspaper or news website
- vertical/market-specific/special-interest community website
Dear Sir or Madam
I’m researching a future blog post about the way business listings or directories are used (or not used) in three distinct types of websites (see above) and I’m interested to hear your opinions in relation to your own experience. I’ll be very pleased to credit you with a link to your website if you wish (though if you would prefer I did not please just let me know) – in any case, so that I’m not revealing your secrets I won’t be relating specific feedback with specific websites, only abstracting general observations or common opinions).
Please allow me to outline some of the questions that’re on my mind, how do you feel about shooting me back some quick thoughts on them?
IF YOU DO have searchable business listings on your website…
- How do you make money from your business listings/directory (if at all)? And if you don’t would you like/plan to?
- Approximately what did it cost (and how long did it take) to implement your business directory? And did you build it yourselves or bring in a ready-made solution?
- What would you like it to do that it currently does not? And what would you like it to do better?
- How important is the business listing/directory feature in the context of your whole site?
- How is your business directory helping you get found in search engine (eg Google) results?
- How are businesses added and updated? By you, or by the business owners themselves?
- What other important things should I know?
IF YOU DO NOT have a searchable business directory on your website…
- What are your thoughts on adding one? Would that be a feature and/or revenue opportunity you would consider?
- If yes, what’s preventing you from doing it today?
- When people search Google for businesses that might be relevant to your market or area, how do you get found in Google’s search results today?
- What have I missed?
AND, about your business
- What’s your annual website development budget (no need to be specific, just a rough range will help me out)?
- How many people work in developing your website? What about in the company as a whole (again, just an indicative range will be useful)
- Anything else I should know?
There are way more things I’d love to ask, but I must strike a balance between my desire to learn more and your willingness to spend time on this. Any input you can provide is very much appreciated, and of course there is my offer of a credit and link if you would like that.
Is there anything else I can do for you? If so please just ask. I can be reached in any of the following ways:
- email reply: dave[at]brownbook.net
- skype: “izidave”
- cell: +1 650 646 8348 (San Francisco Bay Area, PST)
Many thanks for taking the time to read this (and hopefully respond too).
Dave Ingram – CEO, Brownbook.net